Morbidity, Mortality, and Improvement
- This weekly conference focuses on identification of opportunities for improvement
- Leads to resident identification of improvement projects to improve patient safety
- All resident cases are to be turned in the week prior and tabulated by service
- The list will be distributed for review by residents and faculty
- The conference leader will predetermine cases to be presented
- Those unable to attend will be able to participate via secured audio or video connection
- Competencies covered will include patient care, medical knowledge, professionalism, systems-based practice, practice-based learning and improvement
Basic Science Conference
- This will follow Surgical Education Conference for one hour every other week
- Salient topic of the ACGME guidelines and includes: applied surgical anatomy and surgical pathology; the elements of wound healing; homeostasis, shock and circulatory physiology; hematologic disorders; immunobiology and transplantation; oncology; surgical endocrinology; surgical nutrition, fluid and electrolyte balance; and the metabolic response to injury, including burns
- We intend to cover the basic science topics on a two-year cycle
- Textbook will be electronically provided through the SCORE portal - Surgery: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence, 2nd edition Editors: Jeffrey A. Norton, MD, FACS; et.al.
- Competencies covered will include patient care, medical knowledge, systems-based practice, practice-based learning and improvement
- This will alternate with the basic science conference every other week
- The curriculum follows the American College of Surgeons and the Association of Program Directors in Surgery structures
- All interns and residents are expected to be involved with simulation
- Skills area that is accessible to the residents 24/7 to practice in between formal conferences
- Level 1 includes 20 modules that address basic surgical skills
- Level 2 includes 15 modules that address advanced skills and procedures
- Level 3 includes 10 modules that address team-based skills
- Competencies covered will include patient care, medical knowledge, systems-based practice, practice-based learning and improvement, and interpersonal and communication skills
Walking Ward Rounds
- This conference will occur twice a month, alternating between General Surgery and Vascular Surgery.
- Care on the wards is a focal point of surgical inpatient care.
- Ward-based care plays a key role in surgical education.
- Assimilating various sources of clinical information is necessary for thorough patient assessment during the care of surgical patients.
- The specific aim is to improve patient management through timely investigations, surgical treatment and discharge.
- Appropriate history, physical, laboratory, radiological findings, surgical plan will be presented of 2-3 patients by the junior house staff to more senior residents and attendings.
- It will be expected that there will be detailed interaction among all levels and appropriate level questions of the disease process, findings, surgical plan and alternatives.
Clinical Case Conference
- This conference will occur twice a month, from September - May
- This will be an open forum in which oral board–type scenarios are introduced and residents can demonstrate their knowledge in a collaborate environment.
- Feedback on style, content, and presentation of answers is instantaneous and collected not only by the faculty mentor, but also by the other residents in the room.
Other conferences offered:
Vascular Conference – Monthly
- We will present upcoming cases and look for consensus on treatment options
- Attended by residents on the Vascular Surgery Service
- Will be largely data driven decision making
- Competencies covered will include patient care, medical knowledge, systems-based practice, interpersonal and communication skills
Tumor Board – Weekly
- Attended by surgeons, pathology, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists other internist with interests such as gastroenterology, endocrinologist
- Discuss multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatment
- Tumor characteristics, pre-treatment evaluation, staging, treatment plans, and enrollment in a clinical trial are issues commonly discussed
Gastrointestinal Conference – Monthly
Breast Conference – Monthly
Aortic Conference – Monthly